Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Utensil Essentials

Anyone close to me knows I enjoy a good kitchen gadget! For you newbies out there, it's probably pretty obvious that one cannot cook without the right tools. And it is much more fun and time efficient when you can cook with the appropriate tools. So I am going to share a list of basic kitchen utensils I think every cook should have. Baking is a whole other ball game. (You ladies setting up Wedding Registries take note!)
  1. Good Pots & Pans - These are an investment, but something you will use almost daily! A good set will last you at least 10 years, if not a life time. Heavy and sturdy are key. We received a set of Emril's Tri-Clad cook ware as a wedding gift and I love them. And make sure you have 2 stock pots.
  2. Crock Pot - I use mine all year! Autumn and winter are a given with stews, soups, and roasts. But I even just made tender and juicy country style ribs in our crock pot a few days ago. These can range anywhere from $25 - $200. Ours was around $40 and I can't imagine what the difference would be with one that costs more.
  3. Good Knives - These too can be a splurge. Something mid price range is a good investment if you can't afford Wusthov. A stainless steel blade is good and make sure it's one that runs down the length of the handle which gives them much more durability and balance. Ours are Chicago Cutlery and are not necessarily something to scream about, but good quality. We have had them for almost 2 years and they are just now needing a little sharpening.
  4. Whisk - My favorite is a small wire one from Pampered Chef that works great in sauce pans and drink glasses alike.
  5. Rubber Spatulas & Bamboo Spoons- Every shape and size! I have a skinny one from Pampered Chef that fits in the smallest tomato paste can all the way to a jumbo one that scrapes my biggest mixing bowl with ease.
  6. Nylon Tongs - Perfect for turning chicken breasts in a pan and even tossing noodles in sauce.
  7. Cheese Grater - Need I say more? It's a must!
  8. Various Measuring Cups & Spoons - I have some I use for dry and some for wet ingredients.
  9. Parchment Paper - Multi-purpose and SO useful in the kitchen.
  10. Aluminum Foil - Again a must in the kitchen. From covering a dish to prevent unnecessary browning to neatly packaging individual portions for the grill.
Those are the basics I use multiple times a week, if not multiple times a day! Now if you have the means to do so there are a few others that have made my life a lot easier in the last few years.
  • Blender
  • Food Processor
  • Citrus Juicer
  • Citrus Zester
Of course there are always more tools and utensils one can acquire. These are certainly not the only things filling my kitchen drawers, but if you have good basics, you can cook anything!

Well... come back tomorrow for a yummy dinner recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment